Sunday, October 26, 2008

My #1 Client

For any of you that know me, you know my daughter, Chandler, is 17, and graduating from Dallas Christian High in May. She's a National Merit Scholar, has personality and wit (just liker her dad), and I can't remember the last time she caused me any trouble. Yes I know, she's too old to have a dad my age, but that's not her version of the saying (I'm too young . . .).

Today, we went to downtown Waxahachie to work on her Senior Portraits. I'd been looking forward to this day for a while, but not so much that I wanted it to get here, more that I wanted to spend time with her and see how great she would look when we were done. Since she is a special "client", I thought it would be a good time to share some of the images, and talk about the different finished looks I can produce. We haven't decided on which of these we will print, but I processed a few versions of my favorite two shots from the day. I wanted to explain each and show you what you can expect in terms of finishing when I shoot a portrait for you.

Here is the first image. This is a good shot, even straight out of the camera, but you'll see it is a little bit washy, and doesn't "draw" your eyes to any one specific part of the shot. I like this pose for her because it is very natural, very relaxed, and makes me think she's still 14 and needs a ride home from the movies :-).

The next shot is the "basic edit", I like to call it. I color corrected it, softened her skin some, and brightened her eyes. Pretty basic and its ready to print.This is a basic black and white process from the same image. Its a classic feel and the focus point really moves to her face in this one. I burned in the edges a little to draw your eyes in.
I call this one the Wash Out. Essentially its a high fashion style process that blows out all of the highlights in the shot. It makes skin look super bright and is a very non-traditional antique look. I suspect Chandler will use this one for her Facebook page because its "COOL!".I call this one "The Look". I used a similar process as the "Wash Out", but didn't blow the whites out, and kept the colors fairly natural. Again, the focus here is on her face, where it should be. Her green eyes really pop in this version.


Ok I used a few different processes to finish the next image. First, the out of the camera version. Not bad and this actually works for me since the scene calls for a vintage feel. Again, a little bit washy, and needs "pop".

The next version is the "basic process". A little boost in contrast, a little color pop, and some skin smoothing to make her skin even more perfect.Now, my personal favorite, the black and white. This is actually a special black and white that is realted to the Sepia family, and has a little more red left in it than normal. It works great with the old rail yard we were shooting in.
And finally, my favorite, I call this one my HEY edit. Which came from the man that taught me this processing technique. Its essentially a boost in contrast, and some added warmth, along with a really strong vingette technique. To me this one looks like a catalog image for whatever brand of jacket Chandler is wearing. I'll probably frame this one for the office.
I hope this illustrates some of the really cool processing techniques I am using. At least it shows the various results. I can't tell you exactly HOW to get these looks from your own photos, of course. But if you're handy with Photoshop, you can probably get creative.

If you want to see Chandler's Senior Gallery in progress, click here.

No comments: